Sfântu Gheorghe

 

It is the biggest town of Covasna county, and also its capital. Its most significant site is the Sekler National Museum, which encloses, among others, as an outer unit, the Guild History Museum from Târgu Secuiesc, the Pál Haszmann Museum of Cernat, the Csango Ethnographical Museum from Zăbala, as well as the Baraolt Museum. The Sekler National Museum has been open for visit since 1875. This significant scientific institution undertook to research and display the Sekler people and the regional heritage of Seklerland. The year 1879 that is displayed in its seal holds the memory of it becoming the common property of the Sekler people at that time. Presently it is the greatest Hungarian common collection beyond the borders, and also an important touristic attraction of Covasna county and Seklerland.

Furthermore, the Reformed church is well worth the visit, it has medieval origins and was once surrounded by a fortified wall. The St. Jozsef Roman Catholic church was built on the spot of a small church built in 1786. This church was built in 1835, and it was completely renewed in 1895 and 1902. 12 kms to the north-west, passing the Reci village, immediately to the right can be seen the conservation area, as well as the Millennium pine forest.

 

 

(45 kms from Valea Seacă, 50 mins by car)

 

 

Itt tartzkodsz: SIGHTS Monuments Sfântu Gheorghe