Brasov

 

The town is situated in the south-eastern corner of the Bârsei region (Barcaság), at the foot of the Tâmpa mountain. It was a rich tradinc town throughout the centuries, today it is the second largest town after Bucharest. Braşov was the biggest and most important town of the Transylvanian Saxons. Its true development started in 1385, when the population was moved because of the Turkish-Tatar invasions to the valley of the Şcheiului-stream, enclosed by high mountains. The building of the defensive wall and the Black church was also started at this time.
The biggest church of Transylvania can be found in the town center, the Black church, which is 88 meters long, 22 meters high, while its tower is 65 meters tall.

Originally the church was dedicated to the Holy Mother and was built between 1385-1477, in late Gothic style. The attribude Black from its name comes from the fact that in 1689, when the Habsburgs torched the town, the town walls were painted black by the soot and smoke. The reason of the torching was that the Saxons were against the establishing of an Imperial Guard. The inside of the church is also an impressive sight, with its high columns, gothic windows.
The Turkish carpet collection of more than 100 pieces was granted to the church by the tradesmen of the town.

 

Above the front door of the side chapel that starts from the right nave of the church there is a fresco from 1476. On the painting, below Mary and the baby Jesus, St Katalin and St. Borbala there is King Matthias and his wife Beatrice. The neo-Gothic altar of the church was made in 1866. At the base of the painted pulpit there is Moses with the stone tablets containing the Ten Commandments. On the wall opposite the pulpit there are the crests of Braşov and King Matthias.

 

North from the town center there is a Roman Catholic church, which the followers built with the favour of Maria Theresa in the XVIIIth century.
In the center of the town there is the old Town Hall, which was originally in the property of the richest guild of the town, the guild of the furriers. The building was restored on several occasions, it got its Baroque form that can still be seen today in 1770. Presentyl the town’s museum of history is housed there. The other representative building of the center is the Hirscher-house from the 1500s, which presently houses the Carpathian Stag restaurant.
The long-ago town wall and a part of the defensive towers, rooks are still intact. The Black and the White tower still stand, as well as the Weaver tower, where the Town Historical Museum is housed nowadays. The most beautiful and best preserved gate of the town is the katalin-gate built in 1559, which has a cone-shaped tower and four smaller towers. On its facade there is the town crest. Beside these there is also the tower of the Rope-makers and that of the Baize makers, too.
The building of the St. Nicholas Orthodox church started in 1512, and lasted several centuries. The first Romanian comprehensive school also started here, in the building situated in the church garden, in the XVIth century.

 

(68 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour by car)

 

 

Itt tartzkodsz: SIGHTS Monuments Braşov