Estelnic

 

Its fortified Catholic church dates back to the 14th century, which was rebuilt at the end of the 15th century in Gothic style, then it was complemented in 1635, and repaired in 1724. The earthquake from 1802 damaged it, after which it was rebuilt, its tower was transformed in 1819, and restored in 1958. In the earthquake from 1977 14th century fresco fragments were revealed.
The convent of the grey friars was built beside the chapel that was situated between Alszeg and Felszeg, its founder was Count Kelemen Mikes. In 1710 they built a church to the chapel, the latter being left as a sanctuary. It was rebuilt between 1729 and 1750. In 1907 it was damaged by an earthquake, then in 1921 it burned down and wasn’t rebuilt.

In the upper side of the village there is an imola dedicated to honour St. George, which is first mentioned in 1684. In 1721 they mention it as a nunnery, but in 1822 they dissolved the order.
At the village limits was the Jesus-spring and nearby the chapel was a renowned place of pilgrimage until 1730, when the spring was buried by a flood, which also took away the chapel.
The Szacsvay-house was built in 1702, it was the ancient nest of the Szacsvay family. Imre Szacsvay’s monument was inaugurated in 1997.

Itt tartzkodsz: SIGHTS Monuments Estelnic