Műemlékek

Lemnia

 

It lies 10 kms to the north-east of Târgu Secuiesc. It was created from the fusion of the villages of Lemnia de Jos (Alsólemhény or Alszeg) situated on the widening terrace of Râul Negru (Feketeügy), and the Lemnia de Sus (Felsőlemhény Venece) villages that lie in the long valley of the Veneţia-stream.
Its Roman Catholic church has medieval origins, and stands on the St. Michael mountain between Mereşti (Kézdialmás) and Lemnia. The medieval church crumbled and in 1510 they had to build a new one instead, it was rebuilt in 1777 in Baroque style, its defensive walls are from the 17th century with 2 towers and a gate tower, which is also a bell tower at the same time.

Read more...

Estelnic

 

Its fortified Catholic church dates back to the 14th century, which was rebuilt at the end of the 15th century in Gothic style, then it was complemented in 1635, and repaired in 1724. The earthquake from 1802 damaged it, after which it was rebuilt, its tower was transformed in 1819, and restored in 1958. In the earthquake from 1977 14th century fresco fragments were revealed.
The convent of the grey friars was built beside the chapel that was situated between Alszeg and Felszeg, its founder was Count Kelemen Mikes. In 1710 they built a church to the chapel, the latter being left as a sanctuary. It was rebuilt between 1729 and 1750. In 1907 it was damaged by an earthquake, then in 1921 it burned down and wasn’t rebuilt.
Read more...

Turia

 

In the center of the parish there is a fortified church, whose towers and defensive walls were declared monuments. The church built in Romanesque style was later compelmented by Gothic elements, from which almost nothing remained due to the transformations before the First World War.
Read more...

Brasov

 

The town is situated in the south-eastern corner of the Bârsei region (Barcaság), at the foot of the Tâmpa mountain. It was a rich tradinc town throughout the centuries, today it is the second largest town after Bucharest. Braşov was the biggest and most important town of the Transylvanian Saxons. Its true development started in 1385, when the population was moved because of the Turkish-Tatar invasions to the valley of the Şcheiului-stream, enclosed by high mountains. The building of the defensive wall and the Black church was also started at this time.
The biggest church of Transylvania can be found in the town center, the Black church, which is 88 meters long, 22 meters high, while its tower is 65 meters tall.

Read more...

Sfântu Gheorghe

 

It is the biggest town of Covasna county, and also its capital. Its most significant site is the Sekler National Museum, which encloses, among others, as an outer unit, the Guild History Museum from Târgu Secuiesc, the Pál Haszmann Museum of Cernat, the Csango Ethnographical Museum from Zăbala, as well as the Baraolt Museum. The Sekler National Museum has been open for visit since 1875. This significant scientific institution undertook to research and display the Sekler people and the regional heritage of Seklerland. The year 1879 that is displayed in its seal holds the memory of it becoming the common property of the Sekler people at that time. Presently it is the greatest Hungarian common collection beyond the borders, and also an important touristic attraction of Covasna county and Seklerland.

Read more...

Vârghiş

 

The Daniel-castle situated in the settlement is a cluster of buildings that has XVI-XVIIth century Renaissance then Baroque and Classicist elements. The first written document that mentions it dates back to 1580, the castle was already standing then, and was later rebuilt several times.
It is worth viewing the beautiful Renaissance door frames on the building, as well as the double Daniel-Perki creston the front side. Presently the local government is housed in the castle.
The park holds the remnants of an arboretum’s rarities, ornamental trees. The region’s only pyramidal oak can be found here, but there is also blood beech, maple, a – by its folk name – ”sad ash”, grey poplar and early maple too.

Read more...

Tălişoara

 

Its most important sight is the castle of the Daniel family, which was built around 1609, was expanded and transformed in 1668 and renewed in 1884. Once a wall defended it, whose remnants can still be seen. Its present church was built in 1858, its tower built in 1795 stands in its low wall, while the Bethlen manor-house is also situated here.

(80 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour 10 minutes by car.)

 

 

Filia

 

The old church of Filia was built in the 13th century, and it stood on the spot of today’s Reformed church, built in 1897. It was transformed several times over the years, then it was brought down in 1897. Áron Gábor had cannon balls cast here in 1848. In the village one can see the ruins of the church and chapel of the long-ago village of Dobó, from the XIVth XVth century, as well as the double roofed, gabled, Renaissance style Boda manor-house, built in 1713. 

(85 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour 15 mins by car)

 

 

Aita Mare

 

The name of the settlement was made famous on Hungarian territories by the splendid gatherer of Sekler folk poetry, the poet János Kriza, who was a linguist and Unitarian bishop.
His house of birth once stood in the garden of today’s Unitarian parish. The Kriza-collection is on display, in the common room of the parish house, while in the central park of the settlement they set up his bronze bust commemorating the 180th anniversary of his birth.
Its Unitarian fortified church was built on the spot of the Romanesque church in the 15th century in Gothic style, its 5 meter high wall is fortified by 2 corner towers, which date back to the end of the 16th century. Later it was patched up with an additional gate tower, too. It was rebuilt after the 1802 earthquake, between 1802 and 1814. Its three corner towers stand roofless.

 

(71 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour by car)

 

 

Băţanii Mici

 

Its most important sight is the memorial house inaugurated in 1969at the 110th anniversary of Elek Benedek’s birth and the 40th anniversary of his death, it was built in 1896. The name Mari can be read on the tympan of the porch of the six-columned bungalow following the 19th century Classicist manors, which honours the memory of Elek Benedek’s wife.
Its mineral waters bubble up near the Fenyős stream. At its limits can be found the Elek Benedek mineral water cave, a true natural rarity.

 

(73 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour by car)

 

Poian

 

Its oldest building is the Romanesque church. It was built in 1760 as a Greek Catholic church. Over the years it turned into the ownership of the Othodox church, it was repaired several times over the years, but due to the lack of followers it is now a monument.
The water of Poian is the oldest known mineral water of the county, which is suggested against goiter diseases, but is also highly beneficial to different stomach and intestinal diseases as well. It contains alcalic carbon acid containing lythium.

(10 kms from Valea Seacă, 10 mins by car)

 

 

Kézdivásárhely- Tirgu Secuiesc

 


Became well-known throughout Europe because of its court areas and guild history, that can be considered unique. It is also called a guid town, as these ancient crafts make up the history of the town, once there were 11 guilds within its city limits. The layout of the town is unique, the center is surrounded by small streets called court areaswhose creation can be traced back to the XVth century. The reason for their creation is simple, the town was a market in the old days, around which the traders, craftsmen set up tents, then they settled down and built their houses. It is due to this fact that from the center a great many small streets start, whose residents have close ties to each other, long ago this street was counted as a common courtyard.


Further sights of Târgu Secuiesc:

In the town center can be seen the full body statue of Áron Gábor, the legendary cannon caster and artillery officer of the 18480-1849 revolution. The copy of the only cannon that still survives of the ones cast in Áron Gábor’s forge is on display in the Museum of Guild History in Târgu Secuiesc. The cannon was cast in 1971, using the copper item-grants of the citizens of Târgu Secuiesc.
The Museum of Guild History was open in Kezdivasarhely in the former Council Hall of the town in 1972 as a department of the Sekler National Museum,  after the 1930 antecedents. Its goal is the display of the keepsakes of the local cratsmanship, as well as the bourgeois culture rooted in it and the cultivation and study of this inheritance. The institution finds important the keeping of the spirit of the 1848-49 revolution. In terms of the history of folk wear an important task is the safe keeping and display of the doll-sized folk costume collection, which constitutes one of the most well-known collections of the museum. The collection contains about 350 doll-sized costumes baptised ”Zsuzsi and Andris”. The sunlight studio of the famous Bogdan photographer family does honour to the specialists of the museum, this is a place of exhibition of photographic history.


Its Reformed church was built in 1783 on the spot of the medieval church. It burned down in the great fire of 1834, it was rebuilt in 1838.
In the old town district named Canta there is a Baroque style Roman Catholic Trinity-church. The order of the minorite monks is linked to this church. The building of the high school bearing the name of Mózes Nagy is opposite.
(10 kms from Valea Seacă, 15 minutes by car)

(10 kms from Valea Seacă, 15 minutes by car)

 

Read more...

Kézdiszentlélek-Sanzieni

 

Its Roman Catholic fortified church is situated on the Perkő, which towers on the left side of Caşin. Its layout is so-called „scissors”, with four corner- and one gate tower.
The ruins of the Tarnóczy castle can be found on top of the Perkő, to which is linked Zsigmond Kemény’s novel „Widow and her daughter” (the Mikes boys from Zabola stole Sara). The St. Istvan chapel that dates back to the 13th century stands on the eastern side of the Perkő, and the ruins of the St. Antal chapel built by Mikes Antal are in the vicinity. Transylvania’s second biggest saint’s day is organized on 20th August, tho honour the memory of our country-founding father St. Istvan.

 

(6 kms from Valea Seacă, 10 mins by car)

 

 

Bereck

 

Áron Gábor, the hero of the 1848 war of independence was born here on 21st November 1814, there is a memorial plaque on the house that stands on the spot of his birth house, his statue that was uncovered in 1992 stands near the Catholic church. Its sights: the remains of the Veneturné castle at the entrance of the Oituz pass, its old Gothic church, which must have been built in 1569 from wood, while its tower was built in 1764. 2 kms from the village in the vicinity of the tile factory a 3 meters tall memorial obelisk was built in 1899 to honour Queen Elisabeth.

 

(30 kms from Valea Seacă, 40 mins by car)

 

 

Dalnok

 

The village of birth of the great peasant war of 1514, György Dózsa. Its sights are the Berczási-manor, which was built in 1885, as well as the Reformed church, which is of Romanesque era, and was rebuilt in Gothic style in the 15th century, while it gained its present form in the 18th century.

 

(27 kms fromValea Seacă, half an hour by car)

 

 

Zagon

 

Kelemen Mikes was born here in 1690, who was the army page of Rákóczi, then his chamberlain, his statue stands near the castle, and there is a memorial obelisk on the spot of his birth house. The Mikes-Szentkereszti Castle probably dates back to the 17th century, it probably got its present form at the beginning of the 18th century.

 

(44 kms from Valea Seacă 50 mins by car)

 

 

Csomakőrös

 


The village of birth of Sándor Körösi Csoma, the great explorer of Asia and linguist. Among its sights there is the monument Reformed church, the Csoma-memorial room in the former parish hall, the newly reconstructed copy of the birth house of the linguist, as well as the Csoma walnut-trees that stand in the yard of his birth house.

 

(34 kms from Valea Seacă, 40 mins by car)

 

 

Zăbala

gelence

 

The Mikes castle was built in the XVth century, Kelemen Mikes from Zagon, Ferenc Rákóczi II’s chief secretary spent his childhood here until the age of 10. The castle was transformed by Count Benedek Mikes in 1867. Several famous members of the Mikes family were born here, Count Imre Mikó, the Széchenyi of Transylvania, for one. The 34 hectare English park of the castle is an arboretum. In this park lies Count Kelemen Mikes patriot colonel, who fell at the siege of Sibiu, on 21st January, 1849.

Cernat

Pál Haszmann landscape museum: the material in the museum building depicts the most beautiful pieces of the Covasna county folk culture: szekely painted furniture, stove tiles, woven pieces, etc. The museum building is surrounded by open air exhibition, where one can see the restored, monumental szekely gates and the memories of folk building (houses, mills). In the yard there is an open air tomb sign-, tombstone- and carved headstone- collectionand a very rich exhibition of agricultural tools and machines.
Ika castle: the castle dates back to the XIIth century, and it stands on the Piscul Cetăţii (Várbérc), enclosed by the Nagy- and Ilka streams.
Once the mountain was crowned by a 200 meters long and 10 meters thick castle wall, with a round tower on each end. Today only one of the towers remains, and the castle wall also perished.

Read more...

Ghelinţa

 

It lies in picturesque surroundings, at the foot of the Muşat-, Astig (Asztag)-, Bonia (Bonyo)-, and Zarnea (Zernye)-alps behind it.
The greatest value of Ghelinţa is the monument-church in the village district named Felszeg, whose foundation stones date back to the XIIIth century. The old church is surrounded by a stone castle wall, and there is a bell with Renaissance ornamentations on its gate-tower from the XVIIIth century.
The semicircled sanctuary, the nave and the southern and western gate-apertures of the church that was built in honour of Prince St. Imre were raised in the XIIIth century. A bigger, Gothic sanctuary was built in the XV-XVIth century, the number 1503 can be read on its tabernacle. The church was fortified in 1628, whose memory is conserved in the inscription on one of the ceiling cassettes. The building of the castle wall commenced after the completion of the ceiling that is made of 103 cassettes.

The main and the side-altars were made at the end of the XVIIIth century, the pledge picture of the former depicts Prince St. Imre.
In the twentieth century there were also outer wall-painting fragments uncovered. On the frescos of the western wall there is a legend of apostle St. Jacob, and below it there can be seen scenes from the New Testament. The row of pictures continues on the northern side of the nave with the Passion. Above it can be found the fresco depicting St. Laszlo’s legend, to which the church owes its fame. On the southern wall there are depicted fragments of the Last Judgement.

(22 kms from Valea Seacă, half an hour by car)

 

 

Read more...
Itt tartzkodsz: SIGHTS Monuments