Lehetőségek

Recea birch

 

The Recea birch is a 15 square kilometer area covered with quicksand, which is hardly protected though, because the village possesses few pastures. The population of the villages surrounding the reservation divided the birch forest amongst themselves, so there is a Birch of Recea, Comolău (Komolló), Aninoasa (Egerpatak), and also Sântion (Szentivány). The strictly protected area is a mere 2,5 square kilometers.
Almost 100 smaller lakes gleam among the sand dunes even today, however, most of them have already been invaded and are slowly being conquered by swamp flora.

Read more...

Lemnia

 

It lies 10 kms to the north-east of Târgu Secuiesc. It was created from the fusion of the villages of Lemnia de Jos (Alsólemhény or Alszeg) situated on the widening terrace of Râul Negru (Feketeügy), and the Lemnia de Sus (Felsőlemhény Venece) villages that lie in the long valley of the Veneţia-stream.
Its Roman Catholic church has medieval origins, and stands on the St. Michael mountain between Mereşti (Kézdialmás) and Lemnia. The medieval church crumbled and in 1510 they had to build a new one instead, it was rebuilt in 1777 in Baroque style, its defensive walls are from the 17th century with 2 towers and a gate tower, which is also a bell tower at the same time.

Read more...

Estelnic

 

Its fortified Catholic church dates back to the 14th century, which was rebuilt at the end of the 15th century in Gothic style, then it was complemented in 1635, and repaired in 1724. The earthquake from 1802 damaged it, after which it was rebuilt, its tower was transformed in 1819, and restored in 1958. In the earthquake from 1977 14th century fresco fragments were revealed.
The convent of the grey friars was built beside the chapel that was situated between Alszeg and Felszeg, its founder was Count Kelemen Mikes. In 1710 they built a church to the chapel, the latter being left as a sanctuary. It was rebuilt between 1729 and 1750. In 1907 it was damaged by an earthquake, then in 1921 it burned down and wasn’t rebuilt.
Read more...

Turia

 

In the center of the parish there is a fortified church, whose towers and defensive walls were declared monuments. The church built in Romanesque style was later compelmented by Gothic elements, from which almost nothing remained due to the transformations before the First World War.
Read more...

Lăzarea

 

The most important sight of the village is the Lázár-caste, its other jewel is the monastery of the grey friars, in the immediate vicinity of the building.
Read more...

Făgăraşului-Alps

 

The great range of the Făgăraşului alps is more than 70 kms as the crow flies, while its width surpasses 40 kms. Among the peaks and tops can be found eight of the fourteen mountain tops of Romania that exceed 2500 kms. Here is the Moldoveanu (2544 m), Negoiu (2535 m), Viştea Mare (2527m), Lespezi (2522m), Cornu Călţunului (2510m), Vânătoarea lui Buteanu (2507m), Hârtopu (2506m) and Dara (2500m), and further 42 peaks, whose tops are between 2400 and 2500 m. If we continue the list of extraordinary data, here is situated the densest water network of the country, it exceeds the value of 0.8 km/nkm. Here, in the glacial valley of Hartopul Leoatei is situated the highest formed lake of the country. The Mioarelor lies at an altitude of 2282 meters! The greatest lake of the mountain is the Bâlea, its stretch is 4.65 ha. The deepest glacial lake, with its 15.5 meters is the Podragu. The climate of the mountain is grim, with subpolar notes.

The Bâlea waterfall is situated at 1234 meters, on the northern side of the Făgăraşului alps, near the Transfăgărăşan highway, and it can be marvelled at from a distance, as no touristic route takes you to its immediate vicinity. The waters of Lake Bâlea plummets into a depth of 60 meters, so that it could then continue its way through many smaller, bubbling waterfalls toward milder countryside.
The Bâlea falls are situated on the southern side of the Făgăraşului alps, at an altitude of 169 meters, on the territory of Argeş county. The Bâlea lake is 5 kms from here.
The Vidraru dam that closes off the valley was built on the Argeş river in 1965. This was the first valley-closing arched dam of Romania, its height is 166,60 m, its length measured on the top is 305 m. The dam’s thickness is 25 meters at its base and 6 meters at the top. In optimal circumstances the stretch of the lake is 870 hectares, and the dam is able to contain 465 million cubic meters of water.
Furthermore, during the Transfăgărăşan trip the Poienari castle, as well as the Stan valley and the Curtea de Argeş are also worth visiting by all means.

Read more...

Bicazului

 

The Bicazului Pass has three main parts: Hell’s Gate, Hell’s Porch and Hell’s Throat. The Pass with its 200-300 meters high cliff walls is one of Europe’s rarities, and it is a paradise for mountain climbers. Almost all cliffs face towards the Bicaz stream with their vertical side, thus forming high walls. The surrounding mountain tops have an average of 1300 meters: Suhardul Mic – 1352 m, Făgetul Ciucului (Csíki Bükk) – 1267 m. The most rugged part of the pass is ”Hell’s Porch”.

Read more...

Lacul Roşu

 

24 kms from Gheorghieni (Gyergyószentmiklós) lies one of the most beautiful barricade lakes of Transylvania at 983 meters above sea level.
The lake formed on the summer of 1837, due to the slide of the debris that accumulated on the north-western slope of the Ghilcoş-mountain, which slid down due to the great rains and blocked the valley, where several streams united.
The wash of the Roşu (Vereskő)-stream often coloured the waters of the lake red, hence the other name of the lake, the Veres-lake (Red Lake).

Read more...

Vârghiş

 

It is a 4-km-long mountain pass carved by the Vârghiş stream in the northern part of the Perşanii de Nord (Rika)-mountain, which constitutes the Conservational Area of the Vârghiş-Pass. This is one of the greatest karst areas of Seklerland. From the period of the Ice-Age, the Vârghiş-stream dug out four systems of caves in the 4-km-long mountain pass. Until the present they have revealed 125 smaller (5-10 m) or bigger (10-1550 m) caveson four levels (5, 20, 40, 70-200 m) which are situated over the level of the current stream, having a total distance of 7410 m. The fifth cave level is presently still being developed by the stream (it is an active cave system).

Read more...

Lonely Stone of Bălan

 

The towers of the Egyeskő is the gripping rock formation  built from the sedimentary rock, which rises defiantly from the surroundings of the region. In its narrower, wider region can be found the Hăsmaşu Mare (Nagy-Hagymás), the Hăşmaşu Negru (Fekete-Hagymás), or the Devil’s Mill, situated on the side of the Ecsem (Öcsém)

Read more...

Băile Tuşnad

 

It is one of our most beautifully situated bath resorts, among wonderful pine forests 656 meters above sea level.  It has countless mineral waters and mofettas, these made it the ”Jewel of Transylvania”.
Its waters are useful as a drinking cure in case of digestive problems, lack of digestive acids, chronic intestinal disorders, liver and bile-diseases.The medical bath cures are used for the circulatory disorders, peripheric vein-problems, neurohormonal disorders, bladder- and nervous system diseases.

Read more...

Ghimeş Region

 

The name Ghimeş originally means a place where there are many stags – based on the similarity in sounding. The valley was settled by refugees, partly from Ciuc, partly from Moldavia.

The Csangos from Ghimeş say that their ancestors took refuge in this forested region from military service, the origin of their name is linked to this too: Csango is the one who wanders away from the community. The Csangos explain by this wandering their clothing style too, similar to the Csangos from Moldavia.
Read more...

Niergeş Stone (Nyergestető)

 

The Niergeş Stone is the monument of the Sekler heroes fallen in the battle on 1st August 1849, and it is a pass that links the basin of Trei Scaune and the basin of Ciuc, between the Ciucului alps and the Turia-mountains. The ridge and pass situated at 895 m above sea level is the last defensible place against the troops invading from the Oituz pass. It was the place of countless battles in the times of the Turkish and Tatar invasions.

Read more...

Şumuleu Ciuc

 

The architectural site, the Mikó castle houses the Sekler Museum from Miercurea Ciuc nowadays.
According to the legend, the castle was built in the time of St. Laszlo, by a Sekler chieftain named Mikó, but because the building was destroyed, Ferenc Mikó from Hídvég, the captain of Ciuc rebuilt it as a fortified castle between 1611-1621. The building was destroyed again during the 1661 Turkish punitive war.

Read more...

Corund

 

Corund is a famous potter-village in Harghita county, with iron and sulphur medical bath, and three mineral water springs. Sights:
Quarter of an hour from the village, along the Praid highway, 535 m above sea level stood the Corund bath, which was first mentioned in 1729, its 1890 owner was Gyula Gáspár, who built and modernized it much between 1892 and 1900. In 1938 the bath went bankrupt, its pine trees were felled, its buildings demolished. The place is called Árcsó today, which is famous for its salt well, spring sediments and mineral water springs.

Read more...

Sovata, Praid

 

It is a resort known throughout Europe. Its greatest treasure is the Bear-lake situated in the valley gorge, which is the biggest heat-conserving lake of the country. Its shape resembles a laid-out bearskin, probably hence its name.Its water is concentrated saltwater, the amount of salt dissolved in the water is estimated to 66 thousand tonnes, its temperature varies according to layers. In certain areas it reaches 50-70 C degrees. One can hardly swim in the lake, because one simply floats on the concentrated salt water. The valley gorge that is home to the lake is especially wind-free, it is open in the southern direction, it has lots of sunlight, dust-free air, thus it offers undisturbed recreation. One of Transylvania’s most well-known salt mines is in Praid, and most of Transylvania’s springs are in this area. Its rare sight is the great salt cliff that rises above the mining settlement. A bust takes the visitors and asthmatic patients down into the mine. An asthmatic treatment center is set up inside. The other sight of the settlement is the mesothermic salt bath. The bath gains its waters from a 2200 meter deep-drill.

Read more...

Bran

 

Bran lies 27 kms south-west from Braşov, Predeal and Simon belong to it. The castle defended one of the most important passes of the Southern Carpathians. The castle of Bran stands on a 100m high mountain in front of the Bran pass. It is one of Transylvania’s most well-reserved castles, its walls stand fully intact. Bran is considered the castle of Dracula – Vlad Ţepes. In 1918 it became the property of Queen Maria, who had it restored with Romantic additions. In this period it was a Romanian royal summer house. Today it is an outstanding sight of the region, a favourite spot for tourists. They say it’s one of the castles of Count Dracula, known from legends and horror films.

Read more...

Sinaia

 

The castle from Peleş Valley, the most majestic castle of Transylvania, the summer residence of the Romanian kings was built in the time of I. Carol (1866-1914) and it has become one of XIXth century Europe’s important monuments. Several other buildings have also been built beside the castle on the territory bought by the king, like the Pelişor-castle, the house of the bodyguards, the Econamat, the Foişor Hunting House, the stables, the electric power station and the Sipov manor. The hunting house was built first, so the royal couple lived there until they finished construction on the castle (1883). Thanks to the local power station the Peleş was the first castle in Europe that was entirely lit by electricity.

Read more...

Lake St. Anna and the Mohos

 

Lake St. Anna is the only volcanic crater-lake that is still intact in South-Eastern Europe, and it is regarded a rarity in the whole of Europe. It formed in one of the twin-craters of the Ciomatu Mare (Nagy-Csomad), belonging to the Ciomat mountain cluster, 950 m above sea level. The lake whose shape is an almost perfect circle spans 22 hectares, its circumference is 1737 m and it has an average of 4 m in depth. It has no spring, it gets its water from the spring thaw of the surrounding mountains. The water of the almost circular lake reflects the beautiful view of the forest-covered crater rim. One can row a boat on the lake, in summer one can even bathe in it, the 24-25 C degree water-temperature is not rare. According to the locals, we should definitely bathe, or at least wash our faces in the water, because if we do, the fairy of the lake will protect us for a year.
Its fauna is poor, due to its low level of mineral salts. It started to fill up on the north, north-western shore, its bottom is covered by a thick layer of mud.

Read more...

The Foul Cave of Turia

 

”Hell’s porch” is situated on the southern side of the Büdös-mountain, at an altitude of 1052 m. The 14-meter-long pit did not form naturally, it is the abandoned shaft of an old sulphur mine. The privilege of mining the sulphur belonged to Turia, situated 12 kms away, as is attested by the monarch’s warrants. Later the Büdös-cave came to be owned by the Apor barons from Turia. In 1892 Gábor Apor walled the cave with carved stones and also made a door to it, which was only open on appointed hours of the day, under constant surveillance. After the First World War the cave –with the surrounding bath resort- came to be owned by the lung-sanitarium, and its regular usage soon came to an end.

Read more...

Buffogó muskeg

 

The Buffogo muskeg is situated in the mountain ridge between the Büdös-mountain and the Köztető, and it is the other curiosity of the region. It is a 1 hectar peat-bog with sour water, rich in upsurges of gas. The clear water patches of different sizes that are surrounded by territories of thick,  yielding sphagnum are fragmented by dense, constant and gushing upsurges of carbon dioxide and gas. Hence its name, too.

Read more...

Bálványos castle

 

MIt is a high mountain-bath and resort at the meeting point of the Bodoc (Bodoki) -mountains, the Ciomat (Csomád) -mountain block and the Turia (Torjai) -mountain at 770 and 940 m above sea level. It is surrounded by forest-covered mountaintops about 1000 m above sea level. Because in the depth of the countryside is made of volcanic and sedimentary rock, the carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulphide gushing up helped at the formation of various mineral water springs. Because of their chemical components they are great for a drinking-cure – for the treatment of stomach- and intestinal diseases; for dry gas baths, the so-called „mofettas” and the natural bath-cures for the heart- circulatory diseases. The water, as well as the gas have relatively high natural radioactive level.

Read more...

­The Oituz Gorge

 

The valley of the Oituz stream has always been one of the most important gates of Transylvania. A segment of our Settling ancestors came into the country through here, this is where the Turkish and Tatar armies invaded the country, it was here that in 1466 King Matthias led a campaign into Moldova, in 1576 István Báthory marched through into Poland here to be king. Count István Széchenyi designed the railway to Galaţi through this gorge.
The gorge was the scene of many bloody battles during the 1848-49 Hungarian War for Independence, and also during the two World Wars. In 1916 it was here that the Romanian troops invaded, and in august 1944 it was here that the 24th ranger battalion and the Sekler fort company fought against the invading Romanian-Soviet troops.

Read more...

Lăcăuţi (Lakóca)

 

Lăcăuţi is the highest point of Covasna, and it is at the same time the highest point of the Vrancea (Haromszék) mountains., close Covasna-Buzău-Vrancea triple county border.

 

Read more...

Covasna

 

The symbol of the town is the Pokolsar (Hellmud), a one-of-a-kind sulfuric, carbon dioxide gas eruption at the east side of the Main Square, which was initially used for bathing cures. It was opened in 1881 under the name of ”Pokolsar Bathing Institution”, and by this it Covasna came to be counted among the institutionalized medical baths. The churning, roaring Pokolsar’s whimsical outbursts were quelled by many hundreds of carts of rocks and sand, and today it draws the attention of the visitors enclosed in a simple pool covered by a grate. The gas baths found in the city, ”mofettas” by folk terminology, with their extremely varied chemical composition  - combined with warm mineral water pre-bath – have an outstanding healing effect on those suffering from circulatory, neurologic and locomotor diseases, among others. Those immersed to the waist or neck into the gas bath are prohibited to disturb the settled dense gas by unnecessary movement, they have to welcome the effects of the healing gases, that can be felt in a few minutes already, with upheld heads. By the stirring of facial muscles one can perceive as the prickling warmth ascends from toes upward, to the higher positioned limbs.

Read more...

Brasov

 

The town is situated in the south-eastern corner of the Bârsei region (Barcaság), at the foot of the Tâmpa mountain. It was a rich tradinc town throughout the centuries, today it is the second largest town after Bucharest. Braşov was the biggest and most important town of the Transylvanian Saxons. Its true development started in 1385, when the population was moved because of the Turkish-Tatar invasions to the valley of the Şcheiului-stream, enclosed by high mountains. The building of the defensive wall and the Black church was also started at this time.
The biggest church of Transylvania can be found in the town center, the Black church, which is 88 meters long, 22 meters high, while its tower is 65 meters tall.

Read more...

Sfântu Gheorghe

 

It is the biggest town of Covasna county, and also its capital. Its most significant site is the Sekler National Museum, which encloses, among others, as an outer unit, the Guild History Museum from Târgu Secuiesc, the Pál Haszmann Museum of Cernat, the Csango Ethnographical Museum from Zăbala, as well as the Baraolt Museum. The Sekler National Museum has been open for visit since 1875. This significant scientific institution undertook to research and display the Sekler people and the regional heritage of Seklerland. The year 1879 that is displayed in its seal holds the memory of it becoming the common property of the Sekler people at that time. Presently it is the greatest Hungarian common collection beyond the borders, and also an important touristic attraction of Covasna county and Seklerland.

Read more...

Vârghiş

 

The Daniel-castle situated in the settlement is a cluster of buildings that has XVI-XVIIth century Renaissance then Baroque and Classicist elements. The first written document that mentions it dates back to 1580, the castle was already standing then, and was later rebuilt several times.
It is worth viewing the beautiful Renaissance door frames on the building, as well as the double Daniel-Perki creston the front side. Presently the local government is housed in the castle.
The park holds the remnants of an arboretum’s rarities, ornamental trees. The region’s only pyramidal oak can be found here, but there is also blood beech, maple, a – by its folk name – ”sad ash”, grey poplar and early maple too.

Read more...

Tălişoara

 

Its most important sight is the castle of the Daniel family, which was built around 1609, was expanded and transformed in 1668 and renewed in 1884. Once a wall defended it, whose remnants can still be seen. Its present church was built in 1858, its tower built in 1795 stands in its low wall, while the Bethlen manor-house is also situated here.

(80 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour 10 minutes by car.)

 

 

Filia

 

The old church of Filia was built in the 13th century, and it stood on the spot of today’s Reformed church, built in 1897. It was transformed several times over the years, then it was brought down in 1897. Áron Gábor had cannon balls cast here in 1848. In the village one can see the ruins of the church and chapel of the long-ago village of Dobó, from the XIVth XVth century, as well as the double roofed, gabled, Renaissance style Boda manor-house, built in 1713. 

(85 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour 15 mins by car)

 

 

Aita Mare

 

The name of the settlement was made famous on Hungarian territories by the splendid gatherer of Sekler folk poetry, the poet János Kriza, who was a linguist and Unitarian bishop.
His house of birth once stood in the garden of today’s Unitarian parish. The Kriza-collection is on display, in the common room of the parish house, while in the central park of the settlement they set up his bronze bust commemorating the 180th anniversary of his birth.
Its Unitarian fortified church was built on the spot of the Romanesque church in the 15th century in Gothic style, its 5 meter high wall is fortified by 2 corner towers, which date back to the end of the 16th century. Later it was patched up with an additional gate tower, too. It was rebuilt after the 1802 earthquake, between 1802 and 1814. Its three corner towers stand roofless.

 

(71 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour by car)

 

 

Băţanii Mici

 

Its most important sight is the memorial house inaugurated in 1969at the 110th anniversary of Elek Benedek’s birth and the 40th anniversary of his death, it was built in 1896. The name Mari can be read on the tympan of the porch of the six-columned bungalow following the 19th century Classicist manors, which honours the memory of Elek Benedek’s wife.
Its mineral waters bubble up near the Fenyős stream. At its limits can be found the Elek Benedek mineral water cave, a true natural rarity.

 

(73 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour by car)

 

Poian

 

Its oldest building is the Romanesque church. It was built in 1760 as a Greek Catholic church. Over the years it turned into the ownership of the Othodox church, it was repaired several times over the years, but due to the lack of followers it is now a monument.
The water of Poian is the oldest known mineral water of the county, which is suggested against goiter diseases, but is also highly beneficial to different stomach and intestinal diseases as well. It contains alcalic carbon acid containing lythium.

(10 kms from Valea Seacă, 10 mins by car)

 

 

Kézdivásárhely- Tirgu Secuiesc

 


Became well-known throughout Europe because of its court areas and guild history, that can be considered unique. It is also called a guid town, as these ancient crafts make up the history of the town, once there were 11 guilds within its city limits. The layout of the town is unique, the center is surrounded by small streets called court areaswhose creation can be traced back to the XVth century. The reason for their creation is simple, the town was a market in the old days, around which the traders, craftsmen set up tents, then they settled down and built their houses. It is due to this fact that from the center a great many small streets start, whose residents have close ties to each other, long ago this street was counted as a common courtyard.


Further sights of Târgu Secuiesc:

In the town center can be seen the full body statue of Áron Gábor, the legendary cannon caster and artillery officer of the 18480-1849 revolution. The copy of the only cannon that still survives of the ones cast in Áron Gábor’s forge is on display in the Museum of Guild History in Târgu Secuiesc. The cannon was cast in 1971, using the copper item-grants of the citizens of Târgu Secuiesc.
The Museum of Guild History was open in Kezdivasarhely in the former Council Hall of the town in 1972 as a department of the Sekler National Museum,  after the 1930 antecedents. Its goal is the display of the keepsakes of the local cratsmanship, as well as the bourgeois culture rooted in it and the cultivation and study of this inheritance. The institution finds important the keeping of the spirit of the 1848-49 revolution. In terms of the history of folk wear an important task is the safe keeping and display of the doll-sized folk costume collection, which constitutes one of the most well-known collections of the museum. The collection contains about 350 doll-sized costumes baptised ”Zsuzsi and Andris”. The sunlight studio of the famous Bogdan photographer family does honour to the specialists of the museum, this is a place of exhibition of photographic history.


Its Reformed church was built in 1783 on the spot of the medieval church. It burned down in the great fire of 1834, it was rebuilt in 1838.
In the old town district named Canta there is a Baroque style Roman Catholic Trinity-church. The order of the minorite monks is linked to this church. The building of the high school bearing the name of Mózes Nagy is opposite.
(10 kms from Valea Seacă, 15 minutes by car)

(10 kms from Valea Seacă, 15 minutes by car)

 

Read more...

Kézdiszentlélek-Sanzieni

 

Its Roman Catholic fortified church is situated on the Perkő, which towers on the left side of Caşin. Its layout is so-called „scissors”, with four corner- and one gate tower.
The ruins of the Tarnóczy castle can be found on top of the Perkő, to which is linked Zsigmond Kemény’s novel „Widow and her daughter” (the Mikes boys from Zabola stole Sara). The St. Istvan chapel that dates back to the 13th century stands on the eastern side of the Perkő, and the ruins of the St. Antal chapel built by Mikes Antal are in the vicinity. Transylvania’s second biggest saint’s day is organized on 20th August, tho honour the memory of our country-founding father St. Istvan.

 

(6 kms from Valea Seacă, 10 mins by car)

 

 

Bereck

 

Áron Gábor, the hero of the 1848 war of independence was born here on 21st November 1814, there is a memorial plaque on the house that stands on the spot of his birth house, his statue that was uncovered in 1992 stands near the Catholic church. Its sights: the remains of the Veneturné castle at the entrance of the Oituz pass, its old Gothic church, which must have been built in 1569 from wood, while its tower was built in 1764. 2 kms from the village in the vicinity of the tile factory a 3 meters tall memorial obelisk was built in 1899 to honour Queen Elisabeth.

 

(30 kms from Valea Seacă, 40 mins by car)

 

 

Dalnok

 

The village of birth of the great peasant war of 1514, György Dózsa. Its sights are the Berczási-manor, which was built in 1885, as well as the Reformed church, which is of Romanesque era, and was rebuilt in Gothic style in the 15th century, while it gained its present form in the 18th century.

 

(27 kms fromValea Seacă, half an hour by car)

 

 

Zagon

 

Kelemen Mikes was born here in 1690, who was the army page of Rákóczi, then his chamberlain, his statue stands near the castle, and there is a memorial obelisk on the spot of his birth house. The Mikes-Szentkereszti Castle probably dates back to the 17th century, it probably got its present form at the beginning of the 18th century.

 

(44 kms from Valea Seacă 50 mins by car)

 

 

Csomakőrös

 


The village of birth of Sándor Körösi Csoma, the great explorer of Asia and linguist. Among its sights there is the monument Reformed church, the Csoma-memorial room in the former parish hall, the newly reconstructed copy of the birth house of the linguist, as well as the Csoma walnut-trees that stand in the yard of his birth house.

 

(34 kms from Valea Seacă, 40 mins by car)

 

 

Zăbala

gelence

 

The Mikes castle was built in the XVth century, Kelemen Mikes from Zagon, Ferenc Rákóczi II’s chief secretary spent his childhood here until the age of 10. The castle was transformed by Count Benedek Mikes in 1867. Several famous members of the Mikes family were born here, Count Imre Mikó, the Széchenyi of Transylvania, for one. The 34 hectare English park of the castle is an arboretum. In this park lies Count Kelemen Mikes patriot colonel, who fell at the siege of Sibiu, on 21st January, 1849.

Cernat

Pál Haszmann landscape museum: the material in the museum building depicts the most beautiful pieces of the Covasna county folk culture: szekely painted furniture, stove tiles, woven pieces, etc. The museum building is surrounded by open air exhibition, where one can see the restored, monumental szekely gates and the memories of folk building (houses, mills). In the yard there is an open air tomb sign-, tombstone- and carved headstone- collectionand a very rich exhibition of agricultural tools and machines.
Ika castle: the castle dates back to the XIIth century, and it stands on the Piscul Cetăţii (Várbérc), enclosed by the Nagy- and Ilka streams.
Once the mountain was crowned by a 200 meters long and 10 meters thick castle wall, with a round tower on each end. Today only one of the towers remains, and the castle wall also perished.

Read more...

Ghelinţa

 

It lies in picturesque surroundings, at the foot of the Muşat-, Astig (Asztag)-, Bonia (Bonyo)-, and Zarnea (Zernye)-alps behind it.
The greatest value of Ghelinţa is the monument-church in the village district named Felszeg, whose foundation stones date back to the XIIIth century. The old church is surrounded by a stone castle wall, and there is a bell with Renaissance ornamentations on its gate-tower from the XVIIIth century.
The semicircled sanctuary, the nave and the southern and western gate-apertures of the church that was built in honour of Prince St. Imre were raised in the XIIIth century. A bigger, Gothic sanctuary was built in the XV-XVIth century, the number 1503 can be read on its tabernacle. The church was fortified in 1628, whose memory is conserved in the inscription on one of the ceiling cassettes. The building of the castle wall commenced after the completion of the ceiling that is made of 103 cassettes.

The main and the side-altars were made at the end of the XVIIIth century, the pledge picture of the former depicts Prince St. Imre.
In the twentieth century there were also outer wall-painting fragments uncovered. On the frescos of the western wall there is a legend of apostle St. Jacob, and below it there can be seen scenes from the New Testament. The row of pictures continues on the northern side of the nave with the Passion. Above it can be found the fresco depicting St. Laszlo’s legend, to which the church owes its fame. On the southern wall there are depicted fragments of the Last Judgement.

(22 kms from Valea Seacă, half an hour by car)

 

 

Read more...
Itt tartzkodsz: SIGHTS