Şumuleu Ciuc


The architectural site, the Mikó castle houses the Sekler Museum from Miercurea Ciuc nowadays.
According to the legend, the castle was built in the time of St. Laszlo, by a Sekler chieftain named Mikó, but because the building was destroyed, Ferenc Mikó from Hídvég, the captain of Ciuc rebuilt it as a fortified castle between 1611-1621. The building was destroyed again during the 1661 Turkish punitive war.


It got its present form in 1714, it was then that the imperial general Count István Steinwille built it up again. Its layout probably followed the shape of the old castle, but bereft of its ornaments, the old Renaissance building never regained its once lost splendour. From this moment on the building served a military role for a long time. The curiosity of the castle is the two Gothic windows on the southern side.
Şumuleu Ciuc is situated 3 kms from the city center, it is an organic part of the settlement. Although its church and its monastery date back to much earlier times, their existance has been proven from 1442, when out of János Hunyadi’s grants – honouring the bravery of the Seklers in the battle of Sântimbru (Marosszentimre) – they began the building of a new, Gothic style stone church on the site of the old church.
In 1444 Pope Eugene IV. granted a saint’s day to the people contributing to the re-building, still not completed church. The beginning of the tradition of the later saint’s day was due to the miracle-working statue located in the church. Maria gave strength and courage to the Seklers from Ciuc fighting in defence of their religion, so that they could triumph on the Pentecost Saturday of 1567 over the armies of Zsigmond János, who wanted to enforce the Protestant religion.
In our days the Pentacost Saint’s day from Şumuleu Ciuc is increasingly the holiday of all Hungarians, regardless of their religious beliefs.


(55 kms from Valea Seacă, 1 hour by car)


Itt tartzkodsz: SIGHTS Excursion Places Şumuleu Ciuc